Calgary biological dentist focuses on preventative dentistry to help Calgary patients lead healthier lives
Biological dentistry is a philosophy that focuses on safe dental materials, oral health, and total wellness. A major component of this is preventative dentistry. By taking a proactive approach to caring for your teeth and gums, you can help avoid dental disease, enjoy a beautiful smile, and lead a healthier life.
Oral health has an effect on total body health. There are many conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even Alzheimer’s that all present with symptoms in the mouth. Materials that are used in dental restorations can also affect the wellness of the body. By taking care of your teeth and mouth you can prevent or avoid many problems including:
- Expensive procedures – Fillings, crowns, bridges, implants, and dental surgeries can all add up quickly.
- Pain – Tooth decay or disease can cause discomfort and even pain if left untreated.
- Embarrassment – Missing teeth can often leave patients embarrassed by their smile.
- Inconvenience – Having to make multiple trips to the dentist for restorative work can be inconvenient for your schedule.
- Additional health problems – Gum disease in particular can have effects on other parts of the body and cause more health problems.
So what steps can you take to maintain a healthy mouth and lifestyle?
- Brush your teeth at least twice each day. After meals is a bonus and certainly doesn’t hurt. Make sure to practice a proper technique and pick a soft toothbrush.
- Floss every day or use a Rotadent.
- Eat a healthy diet composed of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and minimize grains.
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Steer clear of sugary foods and beverages.
- Stop drinking sodas.
- Practice stress reducing techniques such as exercising, yoga, meditating, etc.
The last thing you can do to help keep your mouth healthy is to maintain regular dental visits. Twice yearly examinations and professional cleanings can help make sure potential problems are caught early and treated effectively before becoming a bigger issue.
Dr. Robertson and Dr. Redd want all of their patients to enjoy a healthy mouth and life. If you are ready to take control of your dental health, call our office in Calgary today to schedule your appointment.